Saturday, March 26, 2011

A couple more cakes

On Thursday my sister-in-law Andrea married Mike (yeah!) It was a very nice wedding except there was a certain 2-year-old that decided to start screaming uncontrollably just as the ceremony was starting, causing me to have to dash out of the room as quickly as possible and miss the whole dang thing!

Anyhoo-- Andrea asked me to make the cake. I decided that it would be less stressful if I spread it out over the course of a few days so on Monday I made gumpaste roses. Tuesday I baked 7 cakes (one of which went straight to the trash as it failed miserably). Wednesday I made 6 batches of fondant and 4 batches of frosting and stacked and frosted each tier. Thursday Drew had the day off (thank goodness) and helped me cover each layer and decorate. The end result was as follows:
The gorgeous bride and groom

The next day was my nephew Ben's birthday party so Thursday night after the wedding we stopped by the store and bought cake supplies and then came home and baked cakes until 11:30 or so. On Friday Drew was also home and absolutely saved my life by doing a good 50% of the cake. I made the frosting first thing in the morning and he got to work coloring fondant and making gumpaste decorations. Ben loves Toy Story and seemed to like his cake as much as any other 4-year-old boy likes a cake.(note that the little figures are toys purchased from the store instead of hand sculpted in an effort to maintain a little sanity)

7 comments:

Donna Madsen said...

Love you cakes! They are both lovely! I am so sorry about the van! I hate cars too! A necessary evil I guess! I am the same way when I get upset! I can't control the tears at all!

The Egg-heads said...

Wendy, my dawling. My heart is aching for you right now. I am so sorry. Cars are bad, but car mechanics are worse. I'm sorry. I'd say to stick Drew on them, but I'm afraid that Drew isn't the angry sort....(you're both a little too nice)
So, stick to your guns. These men need to reimburse you. HOld strong! Let me know if I need to go kick an ass or two to help.
Your cakes are AMAZING, but I agree, you need a little break. Put your feet up, take a deep breath, and grab a snickers ice cream bar (they help.) Love you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherri said...

The day after we bought our latest vehicle, the check engine light came on. We took it into the dealer and they said the problem was under warranty but when we came in a few days later to get it fixed, they claimed it wasn't. I paid to have it fixed but lo and behold the check engine light came on the day after that again. So I called and left a nasty message the next day and then called to talk to the manager. They did reimburse me and the guy who sold us the van sent a giftcard for the trouble.
Car problems are the worst. Just yesterday I was looking into other vans because our battery was bad and we need new tires. I hope you get it worked out.

Anonymous said...

The wedding cake is absolutely gorgeous, and the Toy Story cake so cute :) So sorry to hear about the car trouble, and I can't believe how terrible he treated you on the phone!!! Best of luck with all that, car trouble is definitely a major pain!

Karen and Adam said...

Wendy, I'm SO SO SORRY for all your awful car trouble! Seriously, I'm really hoping you get some happy news tomorrow... that a genuinely decent person will make it right. If it helps you feel better, we just had a fun fiasco where we ended up paying $800 for a GARBAGE DISPOSAL. Seriously, a garbage disposal? Anyway, your cakes honestly blow my mind. They are INCREDIBLE!

The Maxfield's said...

In hindsight I have come to realize that I should keep things positive. I've edited my post to reflect that and apologize for bringing anyone down.