Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Something's missing and television debut


Wow! Three posts in the month of September? I'm on fire! So much to tell....



After weeks, possibly months, of wiggling and wriggling Carly finally lost her first tooth! She was so excited. She kept asking how it was going to fall out and Drew would tell her that she needed to push and pull on it until she heard snapping and it hurt. I always quickly jumped in and told her that that was not necessary and the tooth would come out when it was ready. By the end of last week it was getting ridiculously loose (wasn't even sitting straight in her mouth anymore) so I recommended that she eat an apple. Sure enough, a couple of bites into it she exclaimed "My tooth just came out!" She proudly displayed her bloody little fingertip but there was no tooth. "Where is the tooth?" I asked. "Oh it fell out on the carpet somewhere," she responded rather nonchalantly. Luckily Drew found the tooth. So we were going to tuck the tooth into a little pouch to put under her pillow that night but got too busy and forgot. Fortunately she had put the tooth in an empty mason jar on the kitchen table for safe keeping so Drew suggested that the "Tooth Fairy" just leave the money there. The next morning Carly was pleased and surprised to find a dollar in the jar instead of her tooth. She later told us "I think I heard a jar opening last night" which of course was not true because she was sound asleep but I thought it was kind of funny anyway.

And now on to GTU, which for those of you who are not avid watchers stands for a local show called "Good Things Utah." I record this show every day and have for at least the last six and half years. I never miss it. Last week they did a call out for anyone who needed help finding jeans that fit to go shopping with Alicia Richmond from Chic on a Shoestring. So I sent her an email complaining about my flat butt/small gut problems. Much to my surprise I was one of the ladies picked for the segment. I met with Alicia at Fashion Place mall for a rather rushed and not quite as informative as I had hoped shopping trip. She basically just picked out a few pairs of jeans for me to try on for her and then went out and pick a top to go with it. I did get to help a little with the selection of shoes because I had to make sure she did not choose peep toes. That would have had viewers flipping channels for sure! My toes are HIDEOUS! So it was a semi-fun shopping trip. Unfortunately she picked out $178 jeans, an $80 cardigan, a $20 tank top, $38 earrings, and I don't even know how much the shoes were. So needless to say, I did not purchase the outfit. It was just on loan.


Alicia was going out of town and so we filmed the segment on Tuesday even though it will not air until tomorrow (Thursday the 17th 10-11 AM on channel 4 for those of you anxious to watch). Being on the set was a lot of fun. After watching the show for so many years it was crazy to see how small it actually is. Things definitely look bigger on camera...including people. The hostesses are all stick skinny! So I can't wait to see how big I look...probably cow or buffalo sized! They did not give us much direction on what to do like whether we should smile, hold still, keep our hands down, etc. I was wearing pretty high heels (which I do not do very often) and so my legs were shaking a little when I tried to hold still for the camera. I could see them panning down on my legs and I just hope that you can't see them shaking!


All in all it was a really fun experience. It was something I have never done before and will probably never do again.

5 comments:

Sara Louise Vernon said...

Holy Crap! You are going to be famous! I hardly see how jeans that are that expensive can qualify as "Chic on a Shoestring." But how awesome are you? TV star!

monika said...

Can't wait to watch it, Wendy! You lived my dream!

The Egg-heads said...

Check you out, hot chick! I wish I had a closer shot of those sexy legs.....I'll just have to wait until tomorrow. You should have worn one of your hats and put a plug in.....
I can't wait to see the episode tomorrow! How exciting, thanks for sharing!!!

MaryLee said...

Somehow my aunt had tickets to be in the audience a couple of years ago and at the last minute had me go with them. I had the same reaction about the set and the hosts. Set was much smaller than I thought and I couldn't get over how thin the hosts were...you said it right, they are stick skinny and don't necessarily look that way when you watch it at home.

Rie Rie said...

That is cool about both the tooth and GTU. Although I wish I could complain about a flat but and small gut....