Monday, October 12, 2009

We have a 7-year-old!

Time certainly seems to be flying by these days. I remember the first time I held Carly in the hospital and thinking "It's a little me." Now she is 7! She was very excited for her birthday. All the family came over to open gifts and have cake and ice cream. Since Carly is very much into all things girly, we decided to do a purse cake this year (thanks to inspiration from my amazing cousin Becky). I think it turned out pretty well. At least it wasn't falling over...that's an accomplishment. With each cake I make I learn something new and hopefully I'll have the process down one day and it won't take me an entire afternoon to put one together.
With this cake I also decided that I ought to try and make it tasty too. Usually it is just a store cake mix and I focus all my attention on the outward appearance. So Carly's cake was chocolate pudding cake with cream cheese and raspberry filling covered with a THICK layer of yummy chocolate buttercream. Delicious if I do say so myself!

5 comments:

Kelley said...

It was delicious. Plus, it looked great. You should start charging people for cakes...but not me.

monika said...

Wendy...you put me to shame! I LOVE Carly's cake! You are so creative and detail oriented. I don't think I'd ever be able to pull one off like that. And just so you know...even the professionals take entire afternoons to do cakes like that! If you figure out a way to do them quicker, do fill me in. Love it. You'll have to school me on the art of fondant. I've only ever rolled white for wedding cakes.

Marge said...

awesome cake Wendy Loo Hoo! You are great. How did you do the handle? I'm assuming some fancy cake decorating secret, you know me no homemaker bones in this body.

Becky Mendoza said...

Wow. It looks amazing!! Look what you can do! Oh wait, you can do everything!! I'm totally impressed!! Keep up the good work! Oh, and cakes take me all afternoon AND into the night to complete so you're doing awesome. I agree, you should start charging for cakes! Earn yourself some more tools!

Four Winns said...

I guess I shouldn't expect anything less of you, Wendy. But still, I'd rather if you didn't look at the cake I made for my daughter this year . . . AND I was telling my husband the other day about how you did a George Bush impression for your alm class that one time. Then about how we made the most accurate Titanic movie ever filmed. It was awesome.